Local Government Services Commission
The Local Government Services Commission was established in accordance with Section 3 of the Local Government (Unified Service and Employment) Act, 2016.
Prior to this, there were two (2) separate Commissions, namely the Municipal Service Commission and the Parish Councils Service Commission which were established in accordance with the Municipal Services Commission Act and the Parish Councils (Unified Service) Act respectively. These Acts were repealed with the passing of the Local Government (Unified Service and Employment) Act.
Composition of the Commission
The Commission shall consist of not less than seven nor more than nine members appointed by the Governor General by instrument in writing under the Broad Seal. Membership of the Commission must include:
- Two members shall be appointed upon nomination by the Association of Local Government Authorities of Jamaica (ALGAJ), incorporated under the Association of Local Government Authorities of Jamaica (Incorporated and Vesting) Act, 2004;
- Two members shall be appointed upon nomination as follows:
- One member shall be nominated by the Jamaica Association of Local Government Officers (JALGO), or such other association representing unified service officers as may be prescribed; and
- One member shall be nominated by the Jamaica Confederation of Trade Unions (JCTU), or such other association representing trade unions as may be prescribed;
- The other members shall be appointed from among persons nominated by the Minister, including:
- Two members from among persons with recognized expertise in human resource management; and
- One member who shall be a practicing attorney-at-law
A member of the Commission shall hold office for a period of five years from the date of the appointment of the members.
Functions of the Commission
The functions of the Commission are set out in Section 5 of the Local Government (Unified Service and Employment) Act. The Commission is required to make recommendations to the Municipal Corporations in respect of unified service officers relative to:
- Transfer outside the service of the Corporation
- Transfer from one department to another or from one office to another within the same department, not involving promotion to a higher grade/class
- Termination of appointment
- Disciplinary control
- Separation to include:
- Awards for training
The categories of staff which fall under the Commission’s purview include:
- General Management Group (GMG)
- Fiscal Management Group (FMG)
- Management Information System Group (MIS)
- Public Information and Documentation Group (PIDG)
- Mass Communication and Information Group (MCG)
- Scientific Officers Group (SOG)
- Office and Public Service Group (OPS)
- Protective Services Group (PTSG)
- Health Sector/ Infirmary (HSC/IAC)
- Social Work Group [Poor Relief Staff] (SWG)
Non Gazetted staff e.g. LMO/TS falls under the purview of the Municipal Corporations.